Sun Paper Mill (Feniscowles)

Home Forums NW England Lancashire Mills S to Z Sun Paper Mill (Feniscowles)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Bennett 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
4th August 2016 at 10:17 #276

Chris Bennett
Keymaster

Mill Sun Paper Mill
Address Feniscowles, Blackburn, Lancashire,
Nat Grid Location SD 644250
Companies Sun Paper Mill Co., Ltd.; Reed Paper & Board
English Mill Excise No ND
Status Shut during 1970 to 2015
Est. Papermaking Start Date 1874
Date Closed 1992
Links
Link1 discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Link2 en.wikipedia.org/
Link3 Industrial Heritage- A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Blackburn Part 2
By Mike Rothwell Pub Hyndburn Local History Society 1986 p29

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Chris Bennett. Reason: New link
27th July 2018 at 17:42 #852

JanisHall

Hi, it’s a bit of  a long-shot but I wondered if there are any records of personnel who worked for the Sun paper mill or any photographs of the old buildings.  I think my great Great Uncle, Joseph Kirkman was  manager there around 1904 and my great great grandfather, William Kirkman, also worked there.  I believe he left in 1904 and moved to Pendleton before moving to open a mill in Sittingbourne in Kent.

Kind regards

Janis Hall

30th July 2018 at 09:03 #853

Chris Bennett
Keymaster

Hi Janis

I am sure that the BAPH can help you – I will ask the relevant people. The archive documents from Sun are held a Oldham Library if that is any help.

The mill in Sittingbourne was probably Sittingborne Paper Mill – not new but undergoing rapid expansion in 1904 under Edward Lloyd.

I will ask some people if they can help.

3rd August 2018 at 16:27 #854

JanisHall

Thank you.  That would be really helpful.  The family talk vaguely of Wm Kirkman being night manager at Agecroft.  I’m not sure if Agecroft is where he lived or where he worked.  Joseph Kirkman is even more vague –  he was manager at Sun paper mill is all I have.  I would love to ask for more information but unfortunately it came in a letter to my mother some years ago and the sender has since died.

5th August 2018 at 10:19 #855

Chris Bennett
Keymaster

I have found an “Agecroft Hall Paper Works” near Pendleton. No other references to that plant – I cannot be sure if it was a mill or a pape converter. Quite a few Kirkman people in the area.

The 1901 census has a William  born Bury age 29 occupation Paper ????? married to Annie living at 7 Cauldwell Street Pendleton. Children Joseph Florence and William. Could this be him?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.