Watermarks for UK paper

Home Forums Miscellany Watermarks for UK paper

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Angela Sutton-Vane 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
17th December 2017 at 14:00 #826

Angela Sutton-Vane

Hello – I’ve just registered on this amazing looking project forum.  I’m doing a PhD around the preservation of UK policing history and as a part of this examining the material culture of crime files.  As a trained paper conservator I’ve always been fascinated by watermarks and I’m collecting images of watermarks from the papers contained in the files in the hope that I can find out a) where the paper was made and b) the quality of the paper; but it may be that this just isn’t possible unless I can find trade catalogues of paper mills listing the brands and types of paper they produced.  Currently I have images of watermarks from paper used in 1909 to 1910 and have attached a couple of samples.  Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received!  Angie

17th December 2017 at 17:05 #827

Chris Bennett
Keymaster

Hi Angela

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had problem uploading your files – probably too large limit is 500KB. I’ll send you an email – if you attach your files to a reply I’ll see what I can do.

In some ways the forum is not relevant to your needs as, for the moment, we  limited the mill range to those that have shut since 1970.

However, the BAPH does have a lot of people with lots of information about watermarks and the mills that used them. I am working on a listing of about 4000 that were in use in 1967.

I’ll forward some contacts in the BAPH that may be able to help.

18th December 2017 at 09:16 #829

Angela Sutton-Vane

Thanks for your helpful replies and for offering to forward me contacts.  Very best wishes.  Angie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.